Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Sushi Bar
- Expanded Beauty Department
- Freshly Baked Bread and Espresso
- The Essie and OPI Nail Bar
- Frozen Yogurt Bar... with toppings!
- Wine Bar; International Cheeses
- A Walgreens Exec Shows How to Use the Virtual Makeover Kiosk
- Virtual Bartender Will Tell You How to Mix Drinks
- Virtual Makeovers!
- New European Cosmetics
- Essie and OPI Nail Bar
- Try Your Hair Dryer Before You Buy It!
- A New Papyrus Section
- Inside the Humidor
- Ramy Brow Shaping
- Sarah's Candies
The new 27,350 square foot Walgreens at the corner of State and Randolph will open tomorrow, Jan. 10 and involves all of the new concepts Walgreens has been developing since the acquisition of Duane Reade two years ago.
The store features a pharmacist that does not sit behind the counter similarly to the Andersonville Walgreens, a take care clinic, several areas for fresh foods, a barista serving a special exclusive "State and Randolph" brand coffee by Metropolis Coffee, an international newsstand which by tomorrow morning will be stocked with everything from publications like the New York Times to the Chicago Tribune to Aljazeera, to the Moscow Times.
The store features a sushi bar, fresh pastries and breads baked on-site, a juice bar, made to order smoothies and malted milkshakes. [Fun Fact: the malted milkshake was invented at the Walgreens which opened in 1926 in this same location]
Additionally there is self-serve fro-yo, a large section of liquor priced up to $2,000 and wine on conveyor belts, international cheeses, a humidor for cigars, an automated (motion sensor) fragrance bar, a virtual makeover kiosk developed by EZface from Israel, an Essie and OPI nail salon, and european beauty products, like Gosh not typically found in drugstores.
· All Walgreens Coverage [Racked]
· Walgreens [Official Site]
· INSANITY: This Will be a Walgreens That Has a Sushi Bar and Nail Salon [Racked]