Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
While each girl's beauty bag is filled with confidential secrets for some, there are a few trend setters who love to spill the beans on products that keep them looking great. Contributing member of the stylish set, Kelsey Kreiling opens up her makeup bag and spills the beans...
I blame my cousins for my admittedly snobbish taste in makeup and beauty supplies. They always had the hottest new Stila Lip gloss or MAC eyeshadow and now, I’m all grown up with a beauty addiction all my own. While I’m no longer super trendy when it comes to trying new products, I am quite loyal to the ones I've grown to love. I’ve rounded up the lucky seven items that I’ve been buying (and testing) for years. My apologies if they kickstart your own addiction, but you’ll probably thank me later!
1. Stella by Stella McCartney $20-$92: This rosy, light scent has become my signature. It never smells too cloyingly sweet and I love how well it stays on. Plus, it comes in lots of sizes so you can leave one at home and keep a smaller roll-on in your purse for office to cocktail transitions.
2. Kiehl’s Sodium PCA Moisturizer $18-$26: My skin tends to be super sensitive when it comes to moisturizers. The staff at the Lincoln Park Kiehl's turned me on to this Sodium PCA moisturizer which is oil free and great for sensitive skin. It absorbs quickly and feels great under makeup.
3. Fresh Supernova Mascara $26: I’ll admit, I’ve occasionally fooled around on my mascara but I always come back to Supernova. Synthetic dye, alcohol and fragrance free, it uses meadowfoam extract to condition and never gets chunky.
4. Benefit Boi-ing Concealer $19: Everyone I’ve ever introduced Boi-ing to has become a convert. This concealer by Benefit is tiny, kind to sensitive skin and perfect for brighten up under eye circles after late night writing binges or event filled weeks.
5. Fresh Sugar Rose Lip Treatment $22: I used to have tins of Rose Balm rolling around every bag I owned but this year I switched over to Fresh’s SPF 15 lip treatment and never looked back. It’s soft, never waxy and just the perfect tint of pink to perk up my lips under lipstick or on its own.
6. Nars Blush in Orgasm $28: Blame my cousins Jenny and Meg for this one: they shared this miracle color with me at seventeen and no other blush has graced by makeup bag since. Perfect for fairer skin and blonde hair, it’s got just enough shimmer and plenty of brightening color.
7. Essie Nail Polish in Tart Deco $8: My apartment has a dedicated nail polish closet and Essie is definitely the star. We loved Tart Deco before but a marathon Netflix session revealed that it was even name dropped by Patton Oswalt on the United States of Tara, giving it favorite polish status forever.
· All Beauty Week Coverage [Racked]