Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
t+j Designs is an affordable, holiday-party-ready jewelry line founded by sisters Jennifer Worman and Tiffany Ishiguro (Jennifer is based in Chicago, and has her own local style blog.)
Since the sisters know a thing or two about baubles—and are both avid travelers—we asked them to give us some tips on traveling with jewelry. Check out their pointers below, and shop for any of the featured pieces on the t+j website. And, surprise!: nothing is over $100.
Collage: t+j Designs
1. "Wear the simple delicate pieces that you love to the airport. These items will not set off the metal detector and often times these delicate pieces will get tangled or lost in your luggage. Something simple like the White Gold Pave Necklace (1) is a great travel piece. If you are a bracelet person, the 18k Pave Spike Bracelet (2) and 18K Gold Large Czech Stone Bangle (3) look great stacked and travel with ease."
2. "If you love the layered look but don't want the hassle of bringing a lot of pieces (as well as potentially having to untangle them all!) look for pieces that have layering built right in. The Luxe Cobalt Blue Layered Necklace (4) is the perfect colorful statement piece, whereas the Antique Inspired Layered Necklace (5) is a great neutral option with the same aesthetic."
3. "If you are packing a lightweight bag, earrings are the best option for you! They are small but pack a bunch of style in one look. They also take up less room in your suitcase, which means you can bring a few different options to switch-up your look! We love the Luxe Wing Crystal Earrings (6) and Black & Gold Tassel Drops (7). They go with everything and are bold enough to be worn alone day to night!"
4. "A watch is always a great travel accessory (you never want to be late for your plane!) but it's a great staple piece for your wrist stack as well! Keep with the same metal color as your watch and bring bracelets that would mix and match and layer on with that. The Classic Gold Link and Tortoise Watch (8) would go with any outfit day or night and can be layered with other gold, tortoise or black accessories as well. If you prefer a more modern aesthetic, the Gold and Black Modern Watch (9) is also a great option to travel with."
5. Put all of your jewelry in some sort of bag so that they stay safe and separated. (We prefer velvet jewelry bags!) Also make sure they are in between soft items like sweaters or socks so they are softly pushed if weighted down. We often put earrings and bracelets in one pouch and necklaces in another.
Bonus tip: Take pictures of what you are packing in outfits and that way you can figure out what jewelry to bring!