Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Welcome to our seasonal series Gift of the Day, which showcases curated items you can—and should—buy right now in Chicago.
Photo: via West Elm
Hanukah comes a bit early this year. But if the festival of lights caught you off guard, there's still time to get—or gift—a menorah. Here are eight of the most unusual, eye-catching, or downright gorgeous pieces we could find in Chicago. (Get it? One for each night of the holiday.)
Last time we checked, these were all still available for buying and lighting up. But since these are hot items this week, you may want to call ahead. After all, if we sent you hunting down a style that's sold out, we'd feel a whole lot of gelt.
Below, see our gallery of Chicago's most unique menorahs, which range from glowing to puppy-inspired and hand-painted.
- Manzanita Menorah, $99, at West Elm (1000 W. North, 312-867-1770.)
- The Block Menorah, $28, at the Spertus Shop (610 S. Michigan, 312-322-1717.)
- Jonathan Adler Ceramic Elephant Menorah, $128, at Jonathan Adler (676 N. Wabash, 312-274-9920.)
- Recycled Painted Menorah, $140, at the Spertus Shop.
- Water Blossom Menorah, $350, by Amy Reichert Judaica (AmyRichertJudaica.com, 773-271-5869.)
- The Whale Menorah, $24.95, at Land of Nod (900 W. North, 312-475-9903.)
- Glowing Menorah, $38, at the Spertus Shop.
- Puppy Menorah, $54, at the Spertus Shop.