Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Goldplaited is now open on the border of Lincoln Park and Lakeview. And yes, its logo is modeled on Carrie Bradshaw's necklace (and similar trinkets are available for purchase.) Photos: Racked Chicago
- The back of the space holds a quote from Yves Saint Laurent that perfectly sums up the sisters' philosophy. "Every client is beautiful when she walks in," says Mal firmly. But a little glam never hurts anyone.
- Toward the back of the space, a cozy private party room is ready to host bubble-soaked girls' nights out. "This is a perfect pre-party spot," Mal says. "You can come here before a night out wearing no makeup, and by the time you leave you're all ready to
- Before hairstyling sessions, stylists wash and condition customers' hair with MoroccanOil products. The blowouts, $38, come in a few different styles, and include a relaxing scalp massage and styling with hot tools.
- The sisters sell cosmetics on site, including products from their own Goldplaited line. But there is never any pressure to buy—this was another one of the tenets of Mal and Co's dream salon. (And ours, too.)
- A genius "finishing nook" has perfumes and mints to top off the services.
When they lived in Los Angeles, sisters Mal and Co Strong would spend hours dishing about the (hypothetical) perfect salon. Rule number one: all the stylists would treat clients like they were already beautiful when they came in (ix-nay on the "ugh, who cut your hair last?)
The space would offer expert hairstyling and makeup application; the makeup would not be a mere afterthought. There would be free-flowing champagne, gold-hammered walls, and a girly party room—preferably strung up with glam chandeliers.
Cut to late October, and the sisters had relocated to Chicago and gotten down to business: Goldplaited opened in Lakeview. The new spot offers everything the sisters dreamed of and more: Namely, a little white doggie named Sheffield, who trots merrily around the sparkly space.
· Goldplaited [Official Site]