Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Welcome to our new series Runway Redux, in which we break down looks from local fashion shows.
We promise, the winter looks get warmer. Photo: Prowess Photography
Akira, the local boutique chain that's all about of-the-moment trends, recently hosted a runway show to showcase its fall and winter merchandise.
Held at the Grossinger City Autoplex, the show had models trotting down the runway in looks that had us busily doodling in our inspiration notebooks (yep, we carry one. Don't judge.) There were bowling bags with button-down checks, leather shorts with roomy fringe sweaters, and an ethereal party frock with a chunky fur jacket.
Take a peek at the winter trends below—all available now at Akira—and perhaps you'll gain some fodder for your own inspiration book.
- This grown-up-schoolgirl look includes a red-and-black plaid trench coat with a white tank, a nude, high-waisted skirt, and black ankle booties from Kristin Cavallari by Chinese Laundry. It's accessorized with a black satchel, black gloves, a floppy red h
- With clothing and accessories from Akira, the princess-at-a-champagne-bar ensemble (right?) includes a nude maxi dress with metallic embroidery, a gray-and-white fur jacket and gold and silver bracelets. The model is carrying a knuckle-duster clutch studd
- Way to let your shoes shine. Here, Akira's toggle pea coat, geometric-print sweater, and navy chinos get a little glitz boost from Puma's bronze, high-top sneakers. Photo: Tonee Dang
- How gentile. From Original Penguin, this fedora-capped look comprises a gray wool vest, a checkered button-down top, gray wax-coated jeans, and a bowling bag. Photo: Tonee Dang
- Doesn't this look airport-friendly? The cozy look includes Akira's fringe sweater jacket, a gray crop top, and burguny leather shorts. The model is also sporting a white quilted tote, a gold necklace, and lace-up ankle booties from Kristin Cavallari by Ch
· Akira [Official Site]