Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Last year fashion show producer Benjamin Cottrell hired musical talent, called upon the service industry for adult beverages and installed an enormous 100-foot runway in the street for models to strut local designers' collections down. The show was called Fashion In The Street.
It was the latest addition to Chicago's vibrant street festival scene. This year, it'll happen again on Dearborn at Polk on Printer's Row in front of the iconic Dearborn Station. Around a thousand spectators are expected to celebrate twenty local designers and boutiques ranging from 'Fashion Star' contestant Barbara Bates to local favorite Gidi .
The fest happens again this Saturday and Sunday, from high noon to 10PM and it just so happens to be free. Here, we have a video of what happened behind the scenes at Fashion In The Street last year. And in case the sound on your computer is muted, we've captured the five most outrageous quotes from the video.
1) "Um, Calvin Tran, where are you?"
2) "I need you to lose five pounds immediately or get out of my sight."
3) "There was a boobie situation."
4) "The yellow dresses coming out as Rihianna's 'We Found Love' was singing, 'Yellow Diamonds in the rough..." [lyrics]
5) "Some crazy bitch with knitwear came in a second before"
· Fashion In The Street Chicago [Official Site]
· Benjamin Cottrell Designs [Facebook]