Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Everything about the Fashion Outlets of Chicago suggests that this is a shiny, new, "haute" breed of outlet mall. It's prettier, it's lighter, it's filled with art! And that's just the start. Before you drive over, here are a few more facts about this mega mall.
As was disclosed to press last week, outlet shoppers who park on site will never need to walk more than 75 feet to enter the structure. Those visitors will be able to access the mall through seven entrances. Once they are inside, they'll have more than 120 shopping options and when they're hungry, there are two fine dining restaurants and a food court with booth and table seating for 702. Oh, and there's an Auntie Anne's and a Wetzel's Pretzel.
- The stone tiles in the women’s rest rooms were quarried in Egypt. No lie!
- Natural lighting will flow inside the mall through 24 skylights with a total of 792 panels of glass!
- Before the cars: peer inside the massive parking structure. Total parking spaces: 2,020.
- LET THERE BE LIGHT!
- Over 55,000 Italian porcelain floor tiles were laid in the mall common areas and vestibules.
· INSIDE: The Best Art from The Fashion Outlets of Chicago [Racked]
· GAMECHANGING Fashion Outlets of Chicago, By the Numbers [Racked]
· Fashion Outlets "Broke Rules That Needed to be Broken" [Racked]
· All Fashion Outlets of Chicago Coverage [Racked]