Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
In San Francisco, shoppers scooped up the Boom! sweaters faster than you can say "Lim!" In Colma, California, a grandmother got nasty with her elbows. In Harlem, 83 people stood in line...and there was a bum rush.
So, how did Chicago handle the Phillip Lim x Target launch this morning? We were up bright and early on a rainy Sunday (which is rarer than remaining Pashli bags) to find out for you. Here, we transport you to City Target Chicago, circa 8 a.m., on September 15. Or, the day the bag stock died.
- 8:00 a.m.: Looking to score a little Lim this morning? Get in line, honey.
- 8:03 a.m.: There's a line about 20 deep. There's a lot of neck craning going on, and people aren't happy about waiting outside in the rain. "There seems to be some incompetence happening," says a disgruntled shopper ahead of us, who's also keen to brag ab
- 8:05 a.m.: Lo and behold, the doors soon spring open. A staffer asks everyone to remain "orderly," and they do—mostly. There's a little spastic motion on the escalator.
- 8:07 a.m.: Well, we can't say we're surprised. The bag situation is looking grim.
- 8:10 a.m.: Unless you're looking for a bag in this shade of...greige? Somehow, bags in this color keep ending up back on the racks.
- 8:22 a.m.: These floral dresses are like the last-picked kids in gym class. And, not to be mean, but we kinda get why.
- 8:30 a.m.: The mannequin on the right will soon be robbed of her cute leopard-spotted set, as this hot number is getting scooped up quickly. The "Boom!"-sweater supply, however, is in no apparent danger of extinction. Nicely played, Chi-town. The sweater'
- 8:35: The men's section doesn't pick up steam until about 8:30 a.m. Slackers.
- 8:50 am.: The line for the fitting room is long, so many people are throwing things on right on the sales floor. We're seeing a LOT of sports bra. We'll take this as our cue.
· Be The Boss of 3.1 Phillip Lim x Target on Sunday [Racked Chicago]