Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
On September 12, a stylish group gathered at Space519 to celebrate the launch of the Karl x Melissa capsule collection (Melissa is a Brazilian shoe designer; he's Karl. As in Lagerfeld.) Amid a lot of Moët and shoe-trying-on, we got to thinking: if we could design anything with Karl, what would it be?
We couldn't think of an answer right away—it was much, much later that we thought of fancy cat-food dishes—so we asked around. Here's what eight enterprising guests had to say. And Julia Cuddihy Van Nice, why didn't we think of that?
- Annie Barlow of Barlow.Leman would create a line of necklaces (and judging from hers, she's got great taste.)
- Julia Cuddihy Van Nice of Van Nice PR wants to collaborate with Karl on a—wait for it—diet pill. Now there's some levity!
- Susu Block of Co-Op PR would help Karl design a line of dazzling cocktail rings. He's in luck—she's a talented jewelry designer.
- Toni Canada, C.O.O. of Medical Specialist Centers of Indiana, would have sweet dreams in the Toni X Karl bedding line.
- We hope she doesn't sit on this idea: Kimberly Burt of Maison Public Relations would team up with Karl to design a furniture line.
- Rebecca Taras, Chicago editor of Refinery29, has beauty and brains. Who better to team up with Karl on a line of beauty products?
- Amanda Puck, EVP of XA PR, has a sparkling personality. (Sorry to state the obvious.) She'd be the perfect collaborator on a line of champagne glasses.
- Abby Baine Dunn of Abby Dunn PR and Consulting would help Karl shake up a custom line of cocktails—"to go with Susu's cocktail rings!"
· Karl Lagerfeld & Melissa Launch Capsule Collection [Racked Chicago]
· Melissa [Official Site]
· Karl Lagerfeld [Official Site]