Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
As a fashion stylist and a high-profile wedding planner, Katie Jackson-Meara of So Dressed Up has an insider's perspective on weddings trends. Since the holidays tend to be a hot time for engagements—and we imagine some of you are clicking through this with newly diamond-decked fingers—we asked Jackson-Meara to give us the lowdown on what's trending in bridal hair, makeup, and dresses for 2014. Get her pearls (and lacy swaths) of wisdom, below.
· Dramatic backs: From cascading ruffles to stunning lace work, dramatic backs are a gorgeous and unexpected statement and a beautiful alternative to a strapless gown.
· Short hems: For a less traditional bride really wanting a "party" feel, a short dress is a really fun option that is available in a variety of fabrics and styles and is undoubtedly dance-floor ready.
· Peplums: This is a playful and striking detail seen on both sleek silhouettes and on more dramatic fuller gowns.
· Shopping tip: With two locations—one in Oak Brook and one in Chicago—and amazing customer service, Bella Bianca is a great place to shop to find your dream dress.
· Braids: Braids can read casual and cute, or more romantic and glamorous. From a single, loose side braid to a more formal braided crown, there are many ways to incorporate this element into your hairstyle.
· Voluminous curls: Perfect for medium to long hair, big voluminous curls are romantic and sexy. You can wear your hair completely down or half up, with a small section of one side pinned back. It's a gorgeous look.
· Cat eye: The cat eye is a slightly more statement look that still reads classic, since it has retro roots.
· Pink lips: From peony pink to berry, pretty pouts in a romantic shade of pink are beautiful and compliment many dresses as well as many popular bouquet bloom choices.
· Shopping tip: For the most perfect pretty pink, I love Chanel Rouge Coco Shine in Boy, available at Nordstrom.
· So Dressed Up [Official Site]
· Weddings Week 2013 [Racked Chicago]
· Belle Vie Bridal Couture [Official Site]