As a fashion stylist and a high-profile wedding planner, Katie Jackson-Meara of So Dressed Up has an insider's perspective on weddings trends. Since the holidays tend to be a hot time for engagements—and we imagine some of you are clicking through this with newly diamond-decked fingers—we asked Jackson-Meara to give us the lowdown on what's trending in bridal hair, makeup, and dresses for 2014. Get her pearls (and lacy swaths) of wisdom, below.
· Dramatic backs: From cascading ruffles to stunning lace work, dramatic backs are a gorgeous and unexpected statement and a beautiful alternative to a strapless gown.
· Short hems: For a less traditional bride really wanting a "party" feel, a short dress is a really fun option that is available in a variety of fabrics and styles and is undoubtedly dance-floor ready.
· Peplums: This is a playful and striking detail seen on both sleek silhouettes and on more dramatic fuller gowns.
· Shopping tip: With two locations—one in Oak Brook and one in Chicago—and amazing customer service, Bella Bianca is a great place to shop to find your dream dress.
· Braids: Braids can read casual and cute, or more romantic and glamorous. From a single, loose side braid to a more formal braided crown, there are many ways to incorporate this element into your hairstyle.
· Voluminous curls: Perfect for medium to long hair, big voluminous curls are romantic and sexy. You can wear your hair completely down or half up, with a small section of one side pinned back. It's a gorgeous look.
· Cat eye: The cat eye is a slightly more statement look that still reads classic, since it has retro roots.
· Pink lips: From peony pink to berry, pretty pouts in a romantic shade of pink are beautiful and compliment many dresses as well as many popular bouquet bloom choices.
· Shopping tip: For the most perfect pretty pink, I love Chanel Rouge Coco Shine in Boy, available at Nordstrom.
· So Dressed Up [Official Site]
· Weddings Week 2013 [Racked Chicago]
· Belle Vie Bridal Couture [Official Site]