Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Chuan Spa at the Langham, Chicago photo: via Chuan Spa
- Allyu Spa (600 West Chicago Avenue, 312-755-1313) is an earthy, spiritual-feeling spa right on the Chicago River. Built with sustainable materials including reclaimed barn wood and mesquite, the spa has a candle-lit relaxation area (pictured) at its cente
- The Four Seasons is pretty much synonymous with luxury, and The Spa at Four Seasons Hotel Chicago (120 East Delaware Place, 312-280-8800) is the ultimate in refined relaxation. New treatments include a holistic gemstone facial with Sjal Skincare products;
- It's pretty impossible not to be charmed by the glam, Parisian-inspired decor at the The Waldorf Astoria Chicago (11 East Walton Street, 312-646-1300.) The hotel's Elysian Spa and Health Club offers 14,000 square feet of pristine treatment rooms, fitness
- The Peninsula Spa (108 East Superior Street, 312-337-2888) has a dreamy pool with skyline views, but what really sells us on this spot is its top-notch, grade-A spa technicians—and its menu of deeply relaxing treatments. The Balinese Massage ($265) incorp
- Is it us, or is the whole city going gaga over the Langham Hotel's Chuan Spa? Specializing in services that are based on Chinese Medicine, the truly gorgeous spa has an herbal sauna, a salt-stone sauna, an aromatherapy shower, an oriental steam room— and
- Looking for a quick getaway? Make a day trip to the Kohler Water Spa at Burr Ridge (775 Village Center Drive in Burr Ridge, 630-323-7674.) The spa has everything from energy treatments to deep-tissue massages, but since this is a water spa, why not seize
- The Spa at Trump Chicago (401 North Wabash Avenue, 312-588-8000) has the kind of cozy-but-decadent, urban-sanctuary vibe that makes you want to hang out all day. Its most splurge-worthy treatments include the Moor Therapeutic Detoxifying Thai Massage Trea
Here's how we look at it: Sometimes, life throws you (expensive) curve balls. You get a special assessment, a tire that needs replacing, a mysterious tooth ache—you know the drill (no pun intended.) So, if you can splurge at least once a year on something that feels great, do it. Preferably while wearing a plush robe. Below, take a look at our list of Chicago's top spas for high-end relaxation and palatial pampering. Then, work had to get that raise—or just studiously avoid pot holes—and book yourself a treatment at one of these luxurious locales.