Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Coconut oil has been all the rage lately, and for good reason. It's great for cooking and a natural skincare aid. But not all coconut oils are created equal. That's why Rikita Kapadia created Cocovit, a raw, organic coconut oil based beauty, skin and healthcare line.
The majority of the coconut oils are cold- or expeller-pressed, using heat and eliminating over half of the nutrients and enzymes (yes, even cold-pressed uses heat). Kapadia and her family have been using coconut oil for generations, but she was never completely satisfied with the oils available. "The coconut oil I used prior to Cocovít was from India, and while results were good, I knew it was not 100% raw, nor was it the purest or most potent oil I could have been using."
Kapadia did her research and partnered with a farm in South India, where they developed and implemented a proprietary heatless extraction process, keeping all essential and beneficial nutrients and enzymes intact. The result is a noticeable difference between Cocovit and other coconut oils on the market. Cocovit tastes incredible and feels less greasy than other oils. It's a true multi-purpose oil.
What are the best uses for Cocovit's coconut oil? It's a difficult question for Kapadia to answer because she uses it "for almost everything," but she gave it some thought and shared her personal favorites.
1. Face Moisturizer: "Living in Chicago my skin seems to never really adjust to the constant climate change and because of this I've found that Cocovít Coconut Oil is the only moisturizer which works year round for me! Cocovit Coconut Oil contains natural nutrients such as Vitamin E and is known for its anti-microbial, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties that help your skin stay clear of bacteria. With excellent natural anti-oxidant protection, the oil prevents free radical damage and stalls premature aging. Unlike a lot of moisturizer on the market, Cocovít Coconut Oil actually sinks deep into the skin and stays locked in."
2. Hair Mask/Intensive Hair Conditioner: "Cocovít Coconut Oil is the most natural and healthiest hair mask you can use. The oil contains lauric acid which helps condition hair from the inside-out providing protein, moisture, shine, re-growth, eliminating dandruff and preventing hair loss. I use the oil as a night hair mask at least 2 times a week (if not 3-4) and after every wash my hair is softer, smoother and shiner!
3. Body Moisturizer: "Every morning, right out of the shower, Cocovít Coconut Oil is a must! The oil is much more hydrating than average store-bought lotions because the oil penetrates deep layers of the skin and actually helps to strengthen underlying tissues. Unlike most lotions, the oil does not contain any water which actually dehydrates your skin. And the oil help remove dead skin cells, removes any rough or flaky texture from your skin's surface and gives you a full body glow. (Not only for the ladies, the gentlemen love it as well!)"
4. Make-up Remover: "Like most girls I know, I absolutely hate removing my make-up at the end of the day. Cocovít Coconut Oil is the perfect product to help with this tedious task - not does it only remove make-up (yes, even that stubborn waterproof mascara) without irritating or drying out your skin, but it is also the perfect night and eye cream. One cotton ball of oil and you've just killed 2 birds with one stone! (ps: leaving a bit of the oil on the base of your eyelashes can actually help them grow)"
5. Shaving Balm: "This the perfect shaving oil - I simply take a bit into the shower and apply it before shaving. Results: silky, smooth legs. Men can use this on their face as well!"
Cocovit is currently available online in 8.8oz and 3.3oz jars. For other Cocovit coconut oil uses and more product information, visit Cocovit's website.
· Cocovit [Official Site]