Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- [Photos: courtesy of Real Techniques]
- What drew you to working with Real Techniques? Nic: Brushes really are the tools of the trade, but they’re daunting. With makeup, you can see ‘that’s a blusher I’m going to use that on my cheeks.’ But with brushes you t
- What kind of brush would you recommend for a cat eye? Nic : We have a silicone liner brush for those ladies—or guys—that wan
- Speaking of washing brushes, what's your technique? Nic: My favorite way of doing it is getting a little bit of liquid brush cleaner in a pot. I get an old tea towel or an old flannel and just brush it backwards and for
- When do you use brushes versus your finger to apply makeup? Nic : Well, a brush is going to make it last longer. By using a brush you can slowly build up the product. You’re going to get more of a payoff. The more you bu
- What are some tips for finding the right foundation? Nic : Foundation you should change seasonally, and in between seasons you should mix your foundations together. I do a lighter foundation in the summer and a heavier
- Sam, who'd been with another reporter, joins the conversation after offering us a mini cupcake from the refreshment table. Sam: My tip about buying foundation is to go into a department store, pick two like, try them on either s
- What's the best thing you ate in Chicago? Sam: We went to the Purple Pig last night. Everything on the menu is brilliant. You may think: I don’t thi
Sam and Nic Chapman are the beauty-savvy sisters behind PixiWoo, England's most popular beauty YouTube channel, and an all-out addictive source for makeup tutorials. The makeup artists stopped by Ulta in Chicago recently to chat about the new goods from Real Techniques, a line of affordable brushes that they helped develop back in 2011. As crowds lined up to meet with the makeup gurus, we stole some time in the green room to chat cat-eyes, foundation, and why brushes trump fingers in the land of makeup application. Get your beauty tips below.