Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Romeo & Juliet Costumes Chicago
- Christine Rocas dances the role of Juliet.
- The costumes are sewn up in a fabric-strewn studio at the Joffrey Tower. The building is in the Loop.
- The costumes reflect different political eras in the 20th century. This simple dress, designed in pale blue satin, is Juliet's main costume.
- The Capulet women wear this striking, black-and-white dress.
- Matching the pale blue hue of Juliet's costume, Romeo wears a simple shirt and fitted grey pants.
- Another member of the Capulet tribe wears this bold, yellow and red frock.
- The Montague men wear red shirts and brown pants.
- During rehearsals, the costumes hang on racks in the studio's hallway. They're labeled by dancers' last names.