Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Our new weekly series Get Right for Summer has one aim: to make sure you're completely beautified before the thermostat hits 90.
- [Red 7 Salon via Facebook]
- Michael & Michael salon [365 West Chicago Avenue] is one of the city's most highly regarded (just check the pages of national glossies.) The house motto, when it comes to cuts, is: "The perfect cut is one th
- In Lincoln Park, b. A Salon [1022 West Armitage Avenue] has a mod, glitzy look and an attitude-free staff. Owner Becki Shunick worked at some of the city's top salons before opened the friendly spot in 2011. Wom
- The beloved Red 7 Salon—festooned with bright walls and cheerful paintings—has locations in Evanston and in Chicago. The fun, upbeat spot has been described as "the Cheers of the salon world," and staffers work to make
- The Bird's Nest Salon [3131 West Logan Boulevard] is an adorable Logan Square spot decked with robin's-egg-blue walls and—you guessed it—hanging bird cages. It specializes in eco-friendly services, an
- Sparrow Hair [2545 North Milwaukee Avenue] is tucked into a 120-year-old building in Logan Square. Owners Susan Flaga and Bathsheba Nemerovski specialize in low-maintenance, classic, and impeccably chic haircuts. Wom
- Salon Buzz is a classic, go-to spot for some of Chicago's best-coiffed denizens. And patrons are so loyal, sometimes they take stylists home with them (nothing shady: the salon just offers a solid array of off-site
Our first installment of the "Get Right for Summer" beauty guide focuses on haircuts—don't worry, we'll be back with color next week. For now, here are five of Chicago's best spots for getting a quick trim or totally changing up your style.
· Chicago's 38 Essential Beauty Shops, Spas, and Salons [Racked Chicago]