Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Our new weekly series Get Right for Summer has one aim: to make sure you're completely beautified before the thermostat hits 90.
- [Photo: Mops Beauty Shop]
- With tons of funky charm, Mops Beauty Shop [2500 North California Avenue] has color all over its walls—and on its services menu. Kristina Vaughn is the owner and master colorist, but several of the staffer
- In the Gold Coast, the ritzy Studio 110 Salon [110 East Delaware Place] claims to do the most extensions work in the city. Its stylists also know a thing or two about color. The salon works with Hair Dreams and
- Highly respected in the land of cuts and color, Maxine Salon [712 North Rush Street] educates its stylists on all the trending color techniques, including balayage and ombré. Colorist Leslie Shores even does what she
- In West Town, Edit Salon [1369 West Chicago Avenue] has services including full and partial highlights, root touch-ups, allover color, and ombré. Head colorist Amy Mosser is also an accomplished
- Mixed Co. Salon [223 West Erie Street] specializes in balayage. Head colorist Patrick Ryan—who's been recognized as one of the best in the country by InStyle and Vogue—is the founder of a hair-p
- Wicker Park's Fringe Salon [1437 North Milwaukee Avenue] has almost every stripe (get it?) of color services. There are full and partial highlights, dual-tone highlights, and—for just a little boost—face-framing highlights with fewer than 12 Foils. Stylis
The second installment of our Get Right for Summer series is all about highlights. Here's where to score everything from sun-kissed streaks (no sun necessary) to a Jared-Leto-inspired look that a local stylist has dubbed "Manbré."
· Where to Get Your Hair Cut For Spring [Racked Chicago]