Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Marina Birch 10
- [Photos: Courtesy of Marina Birch]
- "I love this wedding because we recreated spring in the middle of winter. You could feel everyone lighten as they entered the room; everyone’s energy changed as they moved from a cold and dreary March night into a room exuding with springtime."
- "I just love this dog. Six years later, I love this dog! He was our official greeter for this party; the first thing everyone encountered, and he set just the right tone: chic, and tongue in cheek."
- "This Midsummer Night’s Dream themed-event was for a nonprofit, so every penny counted toward our client’s bottom line. Because we were trying to get the greatest wow factor for the least money, I personally handmade all of the costumes for our
- "This was the one and only time in my career so far when I got to make it snow indoors. We created a winter wonderland for this cocktail party, and as guests arrived, snow was falling around them. The audible gasps were all we needed to know the effect
- "What I remember most about this party, which recreated a decadent night in Morocco, was how many staff we had onsite. We had an army of over 40 performers, makeup artists and costumers for the entertainment, and probably 60 more on top of that for cateri
- "This wedding will always be so special to me. The client brought us to Saint-Tropez to create a weekend of celebrations for their wedding. Four months earlier, I had just had my first child, so she and my husband came with me and my team. It was my fi
- "This is one of my all-time favorite events to this day. It was a wedding reception, and the wedding and a small reception had taken place the night before, so the client just wanted a major bash. It was the first time a client trusted me to really do a
- "Phillip Lim custom made the bridesmaids’ dresses for this wedding, and I just loved how the colors he chose turned them into walking decor. They looked like a beautiful living bouquet of flowers surrounding the bride."
- "To me, this is an iconic wedding moment captured on film. It is a eternal shot that sums up the evening: beautiful bride, handsome groom, and that twirl says it all: elegant, sophisticated, fun and fabulous."
- "For this 50th birthday party, I created an evening inspired by the colors and detailing of a Faberge egg. She wanted a rich, indulgent party for her and all of her girlfriends, so we covered the tables with floral, richly colored glass and scattered repr