Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- The styling station [Photos: Courtesy of Salon Blue]
- The salon's upstairs area has a New York-vibe, said owner Katrina Lipe. (In Chicago, the majority of salons are ground-level; not so in the Big Apple.)
- Products come from lines such as Kevin Murphy, Bumble and Bumble, and Dermalogica.
- "Be Your Own Kind of Beautiful" is the "ongoing philosophy of the salon," said Lipe. The space also showcases and sells art made by clients.
- The space also stocks girly, modern accessories.
Have you ever had the great fortune of sitting a salon chair while Katrina Lipe gives you the signature Salon Blue blow-out ($45)? If not, cancel tonight's plans, call up the Lakeview beauty shop, and prepare for some serious pampering and girl talk.
We recently popped by the newly renovated salon to try out the "Hot Toddy Deluxe Conditioning Treatment" ($45.) In a cozy second-floor space decked with lanterns and throw blankets, a stylist made our hair soft and glossy with a custom cocktail of Kevin Murphy products. She also made our mood nice and mellow (post-long-workday, no less) with a 15-minute scalp massage and a paraffin hand treatment.
Then, it was onto Lipe's chair (she's one of the co-owners, but we have it on good faith that the whole team is pretty skilled with a pair of scissors and a comb.) The style turned into a wavy, sleek, almost 1940s-style look. Lipe also dabbed on some Becca makeup for a natural-looking, dewy glow—and gave us tips for braiding and styling at home. The verdict? This spot has a welcoming, girly-homey vibe, is serious about beauty, and it's a whole lot of fun. Take a peek inside, after the jump.
· Salon Blue [Official Site]
· Salon Blue Has a New Conditioning Bar and Beauty Boutique [Racked Chicago]